The Cleveland Industrial Retention Initiative (CIRI), a program of the City of Cleveland, managed by WIRE-Net, assists the city's manufacturing firms to improve operations, maintain profitability, and remain competitive. Over the last three years, the CIRI team of retention specialists has averaged over 460 unique manufacturing site visits per year. The team has managed 47 service interventions where jobs and/or investment were at risk. Between 2015 and 2017, just over 2,600 jobs and $162.9 million in annual payroll was affected by the 47 CIRI projects.
As reported in the CIRI 2017 Impact Report, last year the team conducted visits to 485 manufacturing and manufacturing-related firms in the City of Cleveland. Those firms represented 19,759 jobs. CIRI identified 597 opportunities to provide services and completed 382 services in safety and security, employment and training, infrastructure, and business operations—and achieved the following results:
- Service Interventions: performed 8 service interventions to unique firms with an estimated annual payroll of over $13.9 million
- Jobs: impacted 223 existing direct manufacturing and manufacturing-related jobs helping to retain 58 jobs
- Sales: added $410,000 in increased sales and retained $2.9 million in sales
- Operation Improvements: created $279,500 in operation improvements that reduced costs in labor, materials, energy, or overhead, allowing for the reinvestment in workforce skills, facility maintenance, process improvements, and other business areas
- Increased Investment: generated $4,944,000 in increased investment in new products/processes, plant and equipment, information systems, and workforce skills
Michael Duhr, Co-Owner Foote Printing, said "Because of CIRI, we don't have to use up time to get information from city agencies. CIRI representatives quickly follow up and let you know about resources and information—it feels good to know there's someone looking out for you."
Read the full 2017 Impact Report.
WIRE-Net will hold its Annual Meeting on Thursday, April 26, 2018, and will honor Braden Sutphin, another company highlighted in the CIRI Impact Report, with its Mission Builder Award for their commitment to growing their business locally.
About CIRI and WIRE-Net: The Cleveland Industrial Retention Initiative (CIRI) is a program of the City of Cleveland, managed by WIRE-Net. For 30 years WIRE-Net has been a leading force to strengthen manufacturing in Greater Cleveland. We provide leading edge expertise and resources that proactively assist manufacturers in understanding and adapting to fast changing trends technology, talent, and organizational leadership. WIRE-Net connects leaders to each other and engages them in their communities. We lead, we connect, we partner.
For information, visit www.wire-net.org